Sunday 30 October 2016

Walking - from Langsett to the Upper Derwent via the Cut Gate path

Sunday, 2 October 2016

I was walking on my own on this occasion. Magda was working and everybody knows how difficult it is to find a good company for outdoor activities. Apart from this solo hiking is just something I like to do from time to time. It allows me to remain focused, appreciate surroundings better and sense of achievement is somehow stronger.
What I wanted to do for quite a few years was to walk from Langsett to Hope and then either come back by public transport or to ask a friend to give me a lift back. Later this plan got updated to camping in Hope or somewhere in the area and then walking back the following day. I might still do this one day.
For now, I decided to have a fast-paced walk from Langsett to Howden reservoir and then come back via Howden edge. Distance to be covered around 20km. I set off about 10am from a car park near a little roundabout on A628 so avoided the busy main car park.
Looking back towards Langsett from the moors past Mickleden Edge
From the car park, you need to cross the road, get to the bridge over the Little Don river, then zig-zag up the hillside along the edge of the forest to emerge on the moor above.
Heavily eroded peat on the path near upper Derwent end of the moors
The well-marked path leads over  the side of Hingcliff Hill then via Mickleden Edge and boggy trench towards upper Derwent. The effort of soldering through boggy, featureless terrain is rewarded by great views towards Kinder Plateau, Bleaklow and Great Ridge (weather permitting).
First glimpses of Great Ridge and Kinder Plateau
After admiring the view for a while it was time for a descent to the northern part of the Howden reservoir. Hills were dressed in wonderful early autumn colours.
On the path leading to Howden reservoir
Once at the bottom I turned south along the wide track that goes around the eastern side of Howden reservoir. There were plenty of cyclist, walkers and even people picnicking.
Howden Reservoir
I escaped the crowds by climbing back to Howden Edge via New Close Wood and Nether Hey. High Stones looked like a good spot for wild camping.
Views from High Stones
Even though it was sunny I imagined the views of the hills covered in snow. After a quick sandwich, it was time to head back to Langsett. In the end, the whole walk took me 6 hours 15 minutes and I covered 22.5km. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment